We need volunteer van drivers to help with collecting waste wood and delivering customer orders across Edinburgh and the Lothians.
To hear more about the role, some of our volunteer van drivers have shared their experiences of volunteering with our Edinburgh service, including:
- Paul, who considers volunteering with Move On Wood Recycling to be “gold standard”;
- Simon, who enjoys the upskilling opportunities; and
- Josh, who “loves that it’s proper hands on”.
What our volunteer van driver role involves
- Collecting waste wood from trade and domestic customers
- Dropping off customer orders of timber and upcycled furniture
- Loading and unloading the van – or we can provide a driver’s assistant, if you would prefer to stick to the driving!
- Minimum commitment of one day a week (six hours)
- A standard driving license
- 25 years old or over
- Confident to drive a medium-sized van (experience is preferable)
- Friendly and comfortable interacting with different people, including staff, trainees, volunteers and customers
- If you would prefer to volunteer without an assistant, you must be able physically fit to complete tasks including lifting and loading
- Must join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme
- Active and sociable role, building relationships with staff, trainees, volunteers and customers
- Gain a variety of skills including route planning, time management, organising and communication skills
- Reference available after a set period in the role
- Opportunity to volunteer in other areas of the business, if interested
- PVG Scheme fee paid for
- Reasonable travel and lunch expenses provided
- You will directly support a social enterprise saving wood from going to waste and providing training and employment opportunities to vulnerable young people
Full volunteer training will be provided. Please note that volunteer training will take place on a Wednesday.
How to apply
If you’re interested in volunteering as a van driver, or would like further information, please get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0131 551 6937.